How to Determine the Hand of a Door
Hand of door is always determined from the outside. Face the outside of the door to determine the hand. Here are some rules to follow:
- The outside of an exterior door is the street or entrance side.
- The outside of a room door is the hall side.
- The outside of a single communicating door is the side from which the hinges are not visible when the door is closed.
- The outside of a closet door is the room or hall side.
For Exit Devices
- The door is left hand reversed if:
While you are standing outside the room, you face the door and the hinges are on the left side.
- The door is right hand reversed if: While you are standing outside the room, you face the door and the hinges are on the right side.
For Door Closers and Pivots
Door closers, pivots and pivot sets are supplied LH or RH only. The hand is determined from the push side of a door:
- The door is right handed if it swings to the right.
- The door is left handed if it swings to the left.
The hand of a closer or pivot is the same as the hand of the door. When using a corner bracket, the hand of the closer changes to the hand opposite that of the door.